Assistant District Engineer, Location and Design (Remote Option)
The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) has a current opening with our Bristol District Location and Design Section. We are looking for a professional engineer to manage and perform quality reviews of roadway and transportation related design projects. This position will ensure consistency with established processes, schedules, budgets, design criteria, standards and specifications along with supervising, training and providing guidance to team members in support of organizational objectives. The position will also:
- Apply knowledge of roadway design and principles of hydraulic design and survey to complex projects resolving difficult problems and performing program wide quality reviews of roadway plans, corresponding estimates, and contract documents.
- Apply organizational skills to the work unit and assign workloads monitoring workload assignments such that roadway designs and design tasks are completed consistent with project scheduling and in support of VDOT programs, Manage time and adjust priorities of tasks as needed.
- Manage consultant design projects, design-build project and on-call contracts.
- Lead the Location and Design Section with effective communication and customer service.
- Lead the Location and Design QA/QC program by performing QA/QC reviews of design projects personally and with the use of on-call consultant contracts of VDOT internal wage employees.
This position will have an option of predominately teleworking with a quarterly requirement of reporting to the Bristol District Office.
At VDOT, we work collaboratively, communicate effectively, serve customers with excellence, encourage nimble learning, and value differences to do our best and achieve a high performance culture. We have Shared Values and a Code of Ethics and encourage all who wish to apply to review them. If you share our values, we invite you to apply.
In addition to a rewarding work experience, VDOT offers excellent benefits including competitive health and life insurance programs, pre-tax spending accounts, state funded Short and Long Term Disability Program, a state retirement plan with options for tax-deferred retirement savings including employer matching. Miscellaneous benefits include paid holidays, tuition assistance, wellness programs, etc.
You are minimally qualified if you have:
- Experience reflecting extensive knowledge of roadway and transportation design criteria, construction methods, standards, specifications and agency policies and procedures.
- Experience reflecting considerable knowledge of Civil Engineering principles as they relate to roadway design and Standard Design technical knowledge.
- Leadership experience to include project and program management, coaching, counseling and training others.
- Experience related to building networks and relationships with employees from other divisions, field personnel, contractors, manufacturers and FHWA representatives.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to supervise staff, programs and budgets.
- Valid Professional Engineer’s license.
- Skill in the use of computers and software applications.
- Project management coursework and experience.
- Experience in mentoring personnel
- Ability to work remotely and establish working relationships with stakeholders
If selected as a finalist, you will undergo:
- References and verification of work history
- DMV Records Check
- Fingerprint-based criminal history records check
Special Instructions to Applicants
- State applications will only be accepted as submitted online by 11:59 p.m. on the closing date through the Commonwealth of Virginia’s Job Board/Recruitment Management System (RMS).
- Multiple positions may be filled from this recruitment. The decision to interview an applicant is based on the information provided in the application and/or resume. State applications submitted via email, postal mail, fax, or in person will not be considered.
- RMS provides a confirmation of receipt when your application is submitted successfully. Please refer to “Your Application” in your RMS account to check the status of your application for this position.