Syndromic Surveillance Epidemiologist – Limited Duration (24 months)
Close date: 1/26/2021
Salary: $5618 to $8626 per month
Location: Portland, OR
This is a full-time, limited duration, classified position and is represented by a union.
The Oregon Health Authority (OHA), Public Health Division (PHD), Acute and Communicable Disease (ACDP) in Portland, OR is recruiting for a Syndromic Surveillance Epidemiologist to serve as a subject matter expert and coordinate the work of other epidemiologists.
What will you do?
As the Syndromic Surveillance Epidemiologist, you will work independently to create and implement comprehensive systems to ensure data quality and integrity in our data collection for Oregon ESSENCE and other surveillance systems, investigations, and interventions across programs. You will provide coaching and guidance for other epidemiologists on the Urgent Epidemiology Response Team (UERT) and Public Health Division Incident Management Team relating to response for all hazards that threaten the public’s health. You will act in an incident management leadership capacity in collaboration across the public health division and with local health jurisdictions to plan, develop, conduct, and develop reports for epidemiological studies related to standard surveillance as well as public health emergencies; monitor, analyze and distribute electronic surveillance data and prepare articles for publication and informational materials for experts and the general public; and train local and state epidemiologists to use electronic surveillance data.
What's in it for you?
The public health division is a team of passionate individuals working to promote health across the lifespan of individuals, families, and communities. We value and support unique perspectives using a trauma-informed approach and aim to reflect these values in our hiring practices, professional development and workplace. We are committed to racial equity as a driving factor to improve health outcomes for all communities that experience inequities.
We offer full medical, vision and dental benefits with paid sick leave, vacation, personal leave and 10 paid holidays per year plus pension and retirement plans. If you are a skilled lead epidemiologist with experience in surveillance, investigations and interventions, apply today.
What are we looking for?
- Minimum requirements: a master's degree in public health or a related field and four years of epidemiological or public health experience of which one year must have been in a clinical epidemiological capacity OR a bachelor’s degree in public health or a related field and five years of epidemiological or public health experience of which one year must have been in a clinical epidemiological capacity.
· Master’s degree in epidemiology and experience in communicable disease epidemiology preferred.
· Experience in communicable disease epidemiology which includes surveillance, investigations, interventions and public health evaluation of reported communicable diseases and public health emergency response.
· Experience providing subject matter expertise to other epidemiologists and health professionals.
· Experience working in a clinical environment.
· Experience in public health informatics.
· Experience leading, coaching, guiding, training and coordinating the work of others.
· Proficiency with Word, Excel, MS Access, Epi-Info, SPSS, and FileMaker Pro
- Experience promoting a culturally competent and diverse work environment.
How to Apply
To view the announcement and apply, please click on the green "Apply Externally" button.