Student Assistant in the Gadget Garage
The Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL) (https://www.boisestate.edu/ctl/) is a faculty support unit at Boise State that designs and facilitates workshops, programs, and other events that help instructors to adopt or adapt best practices in teaching, learn from colleagues, and reflect upon the choices instructors make as educators. The Mission of the Center for Teaching and Learning is to support, promote, and enhance teaching effectiveness and to facilitate engagement in student learning.
We are currently looking for a reliable, motivated student to help support the Gadget Garage, our local inventory of educational technologies that we regularly check out to faculty and staff during the school year. The Gadget Garage contains laptops, mobile devices, wi-fi hotspots, audio and video equipment, and other technologies to support instruction. The student will also research new and emerging educational technologies, tools and apps and make suggestions for future adoption. Since this position involves working with physical equipment, you would be asked to work on campus in the Interactive Learning Center (where the CTL and the Gadget Garage are located). You would work 10 hours per week with some flexibility in scheduling around classes, but a consistent schedule is desired. Work-study students are encouraged to apply.
Applicants must be able to commit to working for the CTL for at least a year. Therefore, we will only consider students who are graduating from Boise State in December 2022 or beyond. Both undergraduate and graduate students are welcome to apply.
- Become familiarized with all the educational technologies within the Gadget Garage, understanding how they work and support teaching and learning.
- Check out equipment and learning technologies to faculty and staff. This includes answering email requests, making reservations in WebCheckout, preparing equipment for faculty/staff to pick up, and checking items back in when returned.
- Track and maintain inventory of the Gadget Garage, add new items to WebCheckout when necessary, and keep our online database of equipment up-to-date.
- Meet with faculty in-person or remotely to demonstrate how to use technologies being checked out.
- Work with the Gadget Garage manager to coordinate any additional consultations with faculty.
- Research new and emerging educational technologies, tools and apps and make suggestions for future purchases for the Gadget Garage.
- Provide development and implementation support for technology-related CTL workshops.
- Provide backup administrative support to other CTL staff members during downtimes.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Graduation date must be December 2022 or beyond
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong technological skills
- General fluency in educational technologies currently being used at Boise State (e.g., Canvas, Panopto, Zoom)
- Must be organized, detail-oriented, and reliable
- Demonstrated proficiency using Microsoft Office (especially Excel and Word) and GSuite
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Currently enrolled in at least 6 credit hours
- Must support the mission of the CTL (https://www.boisestate.edu/ctl/contact/mission-statement/) and its efforts to create a diverse, equitable, and inclusive teaching environment at Boise State